Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Why do we keep doing things wrong when we know better?

Ok, I am going to be painfully honest here... so if you wear your feelings on your sleeve, then you need to click to another site.
I had a conversation with my brother about flipping his classroom.  He said it was working.  I asked how he knew, he said, "The kids are doing better". So I began to quiz him.  I am very intrigued by the flipped classroom. My son in college took college algebra last semester and made an A.  It was another professor who was learning to flip their classroom.  I was a happy parent.
Here is Steve's answer to my question, "how does it work?":
It takes time to record the lectures, I lost my voice and boy was that difficult, the lectures only last about 10-15 minutes because you really don't want to spend that much time sitting in front of the computer recording it, I cover just the main points, there is a way I can view who has logged in and how many minutes they were on, there is a short 5 question quiz at the end, they can take it as many times as they want, so even if they don't listen they have to look it up to find the answers and they get the information that way, when we are together in class we start on activities or projects where they are doing things and I am just there to help. I am not giving but one test, a semester final.  I don't need them to memorize information, let them use their phone and look it up, as long as they know where to access good information that's what's most important, that's the real world.  The kids are coming to class and not missing.
Here is my interpretation:
Lecture - Hey teachers/professors, our stories are boring they don't want to listen to us talk, and when we get in front of them we tend to go on too long anyway. I think we like to hear ourselves talk.
Quizzes - Oh yea! assessment used for LEARNING!!! what a brilliant idea, not as a "gotta ya". There are "do-overs" in the real world.
Activities/Projects - Students learn by DOING!!!! You don't have to explain it all beforehand, just be there to guide. It really does work.
Phones/Collaboration- Let them use it, no one works alone and no one works without help. The key is to show them how to find the "good" info from the "bad" and to know the difference.
Kids are coming to class - Hey guys it's called authentic engagement a.k.a.  they like what they are doing, they are getting constant feedback if they are right or wrong.
I looked at my little brother and said, "You are a progressive, transformational educator! I am impressed."
"One more question, what made you change?"
He replied, "$$$, it takes extra time to make the switch" (but you know what, the kids are spending more time on the subject too! sneaky - i like it)
So my challenge to schools- find a way to bring your teachers over, even if it is a small stipend.  The benefits will far outweigh the expense. Let's do this right - educate our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment